Lost Iguana Resort and Spa
1.5 km northwest from the Arenal Dam
The Costa Rican Lost Iguana and Spa is the perfect place to get lost in the relaxation and wonder that the rainforest provides. The Arenal Volcano National Park expands to the southeast of the resort, giving plenty of opportunities for deep-jungle exploration and wildlife sightseeing. The hotel offers majestic views rivaled by few locales; travelers can see the Arenal Volcano from their rooms at the resort. The staff here has a reputation for kindness and great hospitality, and they’ll be happy to help anyone with arranging tours or answer questions about the area. Offering all the comforts and amenities of home with endless opportunities for adventure, this resort is ideal for those looking to have an unforgettable tropical vacation.
Firmly placed in the middle of the country between the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, the Lost Iguana Resort and Spa is located in northwest Costa Rica. Situated in La Fortuna in Alajuela Province, it’s just a short distance from Highway 142. It borders the flowing Rio Arenal River, where whitewater rafting enthusiasts can go be splashy and adventurous.
The amenities of the hotel are quite extensive, ensuring that honeymooners, vacationers and kids alike don’t find themselves lacking anything. The hotel offers all the standard amenities one would expect from a typical resort – such as mini-fridges, cable televisions, and air conditioning – and expands the list to include:
- Dry cleaning and laundry service
- Separate swimming pools for adults and kids
- Hot pool and wet bar (drinks served to swimmers)
- Palapa bar (jungle-themed outdoors bar
- Private parking
- Spa services (massages, beauty treatments, and more)
- Gardens to walk around in
- Views of the lake and the Arenal Volcano
- Complimentary breakfast
With 42 rooms available, the resort offers a diverse range of rooms for guests and their varying needs. These rooms include:
- Celebrity Suite Plan A: The Celebrity Suite Plan A is the largest offering that the resort has on its grounds. It holds up to six people, with a master bedroom (king-size bed) and separate bedroom (two double beds) included. A large family would find its spacious size to be a perfect arrangement.
- Celebrity Suite Plan B: The Celebrity Suite Plan B is just like the Plan A version, with one difference: a balcony is included.
- Las Casitas: These are ideal for a small family, as they can hold four people. A master bedroom sports a king-size bed, and the living room has a foldout bed for the kids or other guests to sleep on. A kitchen holds all the blessings of home life as well.
- Standard: A basic suite similar to a standard hotel room, these rooms come with either one king-size bed or two full-size beds. They can hold up to three people.
- Luxury Suite: The name says it all on this one; it’s intended for those who really want that extra bit of luxury on their trip. It has a king-size bed and a private jacuzzi for those who love the bubbles. It can hold up to three people.
Guests at the resort can expect to be treated to the following amenities and luxuries during their stay:
- Air conditioning
- Safe deposit boxes
In addition to hosting several bars, the resort offers all guests complimentary breakfast and room service options. A traditional sit-in restaurant is present on the grounds as well. Called the Blue Hibiscus, this restaurant serves international cuisine to satisfy everyone’s tastes. Costa Rican dishes – including the tasty traditional breakfast of eggs, pico de gallo, and plantains – are also served for those wanting the taste of local cuisine. It’s open all day long, and the open-air setting provides guests with a perfect place to chill out and eat after a day out in the bush.
Nearby Things to Do:
Situated at the base of the Arenal Volcano and the lush expanse of a national park, the hotel’s area offers plenty of things to do. Visitors who don’t mind a bit of heights can go enjoy the Mistico Hanging Bridges to the northeast, and the resort offers a private hiking experience on one of the trails on their 120-acre tract. A visit to Costa Rica without ziplining wouldn’t be complete, so guests should ask hotel staff about arranging a thrilling tour through the canopy. If watersports are desired, this place has that covered, too – Lake Arenal is nearby, affording everyone the opportunity to go windsurfing or jet skiing in the Costa Rican sun. At the end of the adventure, the services provided at the Golden Gecko Spa will make sure that you feel clean, relaxed and oh-so-beautiful in the midst of the jungle. Other activities here include:
- Getting hot and steamy in the geothermal hot springs
- Jungle hiking
- Horseback riding
- Whitewater rafting in the Rio Arenal River
- Visit to the La Fortuna waterfall